Friday, August 25, 2006

Do we need a WOW factor?

I came across this article the other day. Here's the beginning premise of it :
"At one time or another, someone in your life has probably told you that first impressions are important. Mom may have reminded you to comb your hair or wipe off the milk from your mouth. A coach or teacher may have encouraged you to "put your best foot forward because you may not get a second chance." If you're a pastor who has ever given a trial sermon to a congregation, you know the importance of first impressions.

As the pastor of connections at Granger Community Church in Granger, Ind. (gccwired.com), I know that first impressions matter for churches. Before you've even preached the message or the worship team has sung the songs, your guests have already formed opinions of your church based on their first impressions.

Churches that understand the lasting nature of first impressions also understand that people matter. When people matter, guests are "wowed." And when guests are wowed, they know they're valued."

Read more : http://www.christianitytoday.com/outreach/articles/wowfactor.html

I can understand to point where the writer is coming from. I think it speaks well of a church when the take proper care of their building. That things look neat, and that the bathrooms are clean. However, do we really have to "wow" people in order for them to join our community of faith?

I guess all this depends on the reason for your worship gathering. Is it for the church (the body of local believers), or for vistors? I'm assuming that this pastors' church is geared for visitors, which is fine I suppose. However, I'd take a vistor being wowed by authentic relationships, and genuine worship over aethestics and programs anyday.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 p.m., Blogger Colleen said...

Its always great to read such interesting and "soul-enriching" stuff!

 
At 9:31 p.m., Blogger RevTrevK said...

I think it's God's job to wow people it's my job to keep them awake, be relevant and give them an opportunity to be wowed by our Heavenly Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

My favourite line on your post is "I'd take a vistor being wowed by authentic relationships, and genuine worship over aethestics and programs anyday."

Amen brother Jessie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home